Australian Daniel Ricciardo will start from 14th at Sunday night’s (AEST) Monaco Grand Prix after enduring another disappointing qualifying session.
A day after crashing into the barriers in practice, Ricciardo’s Monaco nightmare continued when he was knocked out in Q2 after two lapses.
It was Ricciardo’s McLaren teammate Lando Norris who once again finished the best of the pair in qualifying fifth.
“FP3 (Free Practice 3) was just trying to get back into a bit of a rhythm and get back up to speed, and then we made some car changes as well for qualifying, and I think we were in a decent place,” Ricciardo told Sky Sports.
READ MORE: Tear gas fired at Liverpool fans amid Champions League chaos
READ MORE: Sullivan’s Blues heroics sink Waratahs at Leichhardt Oval
ULTIMATE GUIDE: Why Aussie IndyCar ace remains underappreciated
“Q1, I was making some good steps [but] a few mistakes as well. So I think, putting it all together, it was actually looking like we were there — let’s say competitive for where it was.
“And then in Q2 it just — you can see on your delta as well, you’re just not making the gains that you should with track evolution and all of this.”
“It ultimately just becomes very difficult to feel where the limit is and how much more to go,” he said. “I don’t know what the word is. It’s frustrating.
“It’s just confusing — confusing to not make these kinds of natural steps that one should.”
Meanwhile, Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc will start on pole for Sunday’s race.
On his home track, where he cycles from his apartment to the course, Leclerc hopes to finish for the first time and reclaim the Formula 1 points lead.
Leclerc was scheduled to lead the field from pole in the Monaco Grand Prix — the same position he was in a year ago. But he never even started the race because he crashed his Ferrari at the end of qualifying and the car couldn’t be repaired in time for him to compete.
In three previous starts on Monaco’s city streets, Leclerc has retired twice with crash damage and failed to start. This Sunday, he hopes a win pushes him ahead of reigning champion Max Verstappen in the F1 standings and dismissed any notion he’s cursed on his hometown streets.
“I’m not superstitious at all,” Leclerc said. “We’ve had a smooth weekend until now and we’re starting in the best place possible. Hopefully we have a clean race and we finally have a good result at home.”
Leclerc was fastest in two of three practice sessions, as well as qualifying.
Ferrari locked out the front row as Carlos Sainz Jr. qualified second despite spinning into Sergio Perez’s disabled Red Bull with 30 seconds remaining in Saturday qualifying.
“I saw the yellow flag, I realized that the car in front of me had crashed and you don’t see where he has crashed, so you enter the corner without knowing where he’s going to be,” said Sainz. “I hit the brakes harder and managed to clip him with the back of the car. It would have been a pretty good save if I’d have saved it, because there was basically no time to save it. But it’s what happens in Monaco .”
It concluded an eventful day for Sainz, who was fined $37,000 for impeding Lance Stroll during the final practice. Sainz almost came to a stop on the track at the last corner with Stroll behind him after receiving what race stewards called “a series of grossly incorrect messages.”
And, Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto acknowledged reliability issues are a concern following Leclerc’s engine failure at last week’s Spanish Grand Prix. Leclerc was leading when his Ferrari sputtered to a stop and reigning F1 champion Max Verstappen went on to win his third consecutive race and take a six-point lead over Leclerc in the standings.
“Reliability is always a concern,” Binotto said. “It’s worrying us, we’re looking at what happened.”
Red Bull, meanwhile, has squashed any internal drama that might have lingered following team orders last week that demanded Perez relinquish the lead to Verstappen.
Red Bull principal Christian Horner said the team spoke with Perez after the race in Spain, and Perez qualified third in Monaco alongside teammate Verstappen.
“He’s a great team player, he’s a huge part of our team,” said Horner. “We saw the issues that obviously Ferrari had as a team, it was a logical thing to do, not to allow the drivers to fight each other, and try to bank those points.
“We’ve obviously talked it through, the rationale behind that, which he fully accepted, and understood. Now we try and take the fight to Ferrari this weekend.”
Norris of McLaren qualified fifth, one spot ahead of George Russell for Mercedes. Russell’s teammate, seven-time champion Lewis Hamilton, qualified eighth and was unable to improve his position because of the red-flag brought out by Perez’s spin.
Fernando Alonso qualified seventh, while Sebastian Vettel and Esteban Ocon were ninth and 10th.
Hamilton is on course for an eighth race without a win, which would equal his worst Mercedes run since the end of 2015 and the start of 2016. He has a record 103 F1 wins, and even without the late caution in qualifying, doesn’t think he could have improved his position.
“The red flags cost me my final lap, but I don’t think it was going to be much different,” the British veteran said. “The car feels pretty bad out there and we’re having to take some big risks to get anywhere near the times of the cars in front.”
The weather forecast called for rain on Sunday night, and Leclerc wondered what it might do to the familiar streets.
“City tracks are very tricky. In the wet I’m sure Monaco is even tougher,” said Leclerc.
For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!
Andrew Symonds’ life in pictures as Australian cricket mourns sudden death
#Confused #Ricciardo #suffers #qualifying #pain