Twist for World Cup star after Radley bust-up

Irish firebrand James Bentley wants to come to Australia to prove himself in the NRL.

The Leeds star made headlines on Tuesday when he was allegedly involved in a brawl with Sydney Roosters star Victor Radley at the World Cup in England.

Reports from the UK say that 25-year-old Bentley, overlooked for the England team for Radley, gave Lions coach Shane Wane a fiery spray over his omission.

READ MORE: Government makes bombshell Djokovic decision

READ MORE: The moment that lit simmering Formula 1 feud

READ MORE: Rival’s audacious bid for $1.25 million star revealed

He then allegedly locked horns with Radley, who allegedly headbutted him before the pair were separated.

Bentley is rated one of the best running forwards in the Super League, scoring two tries in the shock semi-final win over Wigan that earned Leeds a spot in the grand final.

Like Radley, his fiery temperament has caused him problems with referees; he was sent off in his Leeds debut at the start of this year after just 16 minutes.

The tough forward played for Ireland in the World Cup after being brushed by Wane and now wants to prove he can mix it with the best of them in the NRL.

“He was offered to us and we looked into him; there’s no doubt he can play,” one NRL coach told Wide World of Sports.

“But his discipline is his undoing and that’s why we decided to steer clear of him.

“Another club may decide to take the risk, though.”

Clubs smokes at NRL draw

Plenty of clubs are smoking over the recently released NRL draw, with South Sydney up near the top of the list.

All clubs want to start the season with a home game as it gives you a better chance of a winning start to the season and also tends to bring in a healthy crowd of footy-starved fans.

But for the third straight year, Souths will start the new campaign on the road – and with a tough game against the dangerous Cronulla Sharks at that.

The Bunnies will lobby the NRL in 12 months’ time for a home game to start 2024. It only seems fair after three straight away round one matches.

Dragons desperate for big boppers

The Dragons have told player managers they need front-rowers – and quickly.

With Daniel Alvaro (France) leaving midway through last season and Tariq Sims (Melbourne), Josh McGuire (Warrington), Jack Gosiewski (North Queensland) and Poasa Faamausili (Dolphins) leaving at the end of the season, as well as George Burgess ( released) and Andrew McCullough (retired), the Dragons are suddenly short on experience up front.

Aaron Woods is also likely to move on to the Tigers according to the rumor mill.

Zane Musgrove (Tigers) is the only experienced forward to join the club and the Dragons’ problem is that most of the big men with ability are signed and sealed for 2023.

Gold Coast snaps up young gun

The Titans have signed a promising lock from the Knights on a train-and-trial contract.

Jaron Purcell, a 21-year-old local Knights junior from the NSW Central Coast, came to terms last week and is hoping to force his way into Justin Holbrook’s top 30 during the trials.

Purcell looked good in the NSW and Flegg Cups for the Knights this year but decided he had a better chance of a full-time deal with a move up the coast.

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!

#Twist #World #Cup #star #Radley #bustup

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *